Wednesday 9 May 2007

of sick children

I am so not a good mother! My 8 year old has been off school for 10 days out of the last 13 (and one of those was a bank holiday). What an earth am I doing to her? We thought that chickens and the dog and the country air would be really good for all the children which was why we moved here. But I'm beginning to wonder whether I'm doing something wrong.

She has had a chest infection, then laryngitis (me too actually couldn't talk for a week much to the merriment of all) and now simply has a cold. But oh my goodness it brings with it a great big hacking cough. She has eczema (badly, really badly) and asthma now has crept in. So she puffs and she steams and she sleeps propped up (in my bed last night, it was the only way I could think of getting some kind of rest for myself, I also have a soaring temperature) and kissed husband good night chastely at my bedroom door. Maybe it will bring back Romance. Somehow I doubt it.

We went away at the weekend on the assumption that she might as well be ill away as at home and we'd paid for it already. Disaster! Freezing cold. Children all arguing. Us 2 arguing. Dog fed up. Too many chips and chocolate and no wine whatsoever. Oh well, it spurred me on to book our summer holiday and that is giving me something to look forward to.

At the weekend we shall buy new chickens, lets hope the fox keeps away...

6 comments:

Westerwitch/Headmistress said...

Oh poor you - I do hope you all feel better soon, it is soooo hard having to look after children sick, or not, when you feel ill yourself. So sorry to hear about the asthma and exzema (spelling). What chickens are you going to buy - I am thinking of replacing mine now that the fox seems to have gone . . . .

DevonLife said...

nightmare. get that holiday booked

Suffolkmum said...

Poor her, poor you. Horrible having a miserable time away, exhausting looking after ill children when you feel lousy yourself. Hope you all get better soon. I LOVE booking holidays, perks me up immensle.
ps - congratulations on getting your article published! What was it?

Un Peu Loufoque said...

Firstly for teh exma look upLuca papaw ointment inline, excellant stuff used it for everything in OZ and it works miracles on exma(forgive spelling) second children are alwasy ill in new environemtn and it can take a year to get used to all the exciting new germs they are meeting that is why reception class is full of kids vomiting and other horrid things beleive me I sepak as an ex teacher.

Third you are being a wonderful mother stop fretting and beating yourself up.

Love un peu !

Chris Stovell said...

Goodness me you are having a rough time but it will get better.

Bluestocking Mum said...

What an awful time you are having.

You not an awful mother-just happens like that sometimes. Sounds like you all need a holiday somewhere HOT!!

warm wishes