Monday 30 April 2007

Thursday Apr 19 2007 17:49:46
Had a wonderful morning with my daughter (8) and her friend following the sleepover. I made them flat pancakes (crepes to you!) and put a basket of eggs on the table. The friend's family has just moved into our village and have got themselves some chickens. They are so excited and I wanted to show her how different all our eggs were. They ended up weighing them and working out how many of 'darling chick chick's' eggs make up a 'speckles' ' egg! Darling chick chick is my daughter's own belgan d'anjou (so a tiny little bantam) and she is at least 5 years old now and hardly ever lays. Speckles is some kind of industrial hybrid (one of 2 we bought to make sure we always have eggs as our 5 bantams are a little temperamental). Chick chick's eggs always weigh 29grams, the wyndotte (Phoebe) weighs in at 43 grams, Sunny's are 64 grams and Speckles a whopping big 84! And Clucky who at 8 years old is the oldest of the chickens never lays anything at all but luckily for her she submits to cuddles and songs being sung to her and generally being treated a bit like a living doll. I originally had to weigh the eggs to work out how many to use in recipes: why do most recipes say medium? My eggs are not medium at all, none of them! So the girls spent a lovely half an hour weighing the eggs and doing all sorts of complicated sums adding them together and taking them away. It was great, Mrs Parry, eat your heart out, my maths lessons are so much fun. And I am a good mother after all......

5 comments:

Inthemud said...

Hello,Glad you've joined us from the dark side! It'as fun here!

Un Peu Loufoque said...

Hello give us a clue who were you on t'other ! Whoever, you are welcome anyway! Ah remember an interesting science experiment with some old hen eggs and a throwing competition to prove that because of their shape it is actually very hard to break an egg!!

Suffolkmum said...

You are indeed a good mother! What a wholesome image that conjures up! So glad you made it over here, it's much more fun (and much much quicker, too).

Exmoorjane said...

Yeay, lovely to see you here, Ska..... I was/am a 'late' mother too....I think my GP called me a 'senile primagravida' which I found somewhat insulting!
jx

Posie said...

What a good mum you are, I aviod sleepovers if I can, too tiring when they won't go to sleep!Looking forward to reading more blogs.