Monday 30 April 2007

week from hell

Friday Apr 13 2007 19:47:47

It has been the week from hell. School holidays with the two stepchildren not here so my only just 8 year old all alone with me (husband having gone back to work). I took her down to my dad's thinking that it would be a treat for them both. Hmm. Drove back after just over 36 hours in a right state having completely lost my rag umpteen times. I can't even bring myself to give examples of the levels to which I sank whilst there. Suffice to say that at around 8.55 at the Amesbury service station on the A303 you would have witnessed me getting out of the car, examining the fuel filler up thingy, getting back into the car, looking for a lever or button or something. Me opening glove pocket, getting out car manual, reading it. Getting out, pressing the car fuel thingy. Getting back in the car. Calling husband (illegally using mobile phone in garage). No husband at home. Finally I enter the garage and say 'I know this sounds really wimpy but does anybody know how to open the fuel thingy on a galaxy?' Luckily the very kind man waiting to pay his bill was not patronising at all and patiently explained how to do it (you DEPRESS the fuel filler thingy in a sort of twisting movement I feel I will never again be able to repeat). I filled up. Drove out of garage...over a pavement that wasn't there last time (I swear) so probably completely blew the suspension (in my defence I was clearly stressed and there was half an arrow painted out and it was dark). Straight into Burger King (yes I do get an organic box delivered and I do make all our nutritious food and most of our bread, from scratch, well obviously I don't grind my own flour). My 8 year old is now the proud owner of a pink thing she (and I) can't open. Like mother like daughter. The journey took hours longer than normal and 8year old was exhausted but picking up my stress vibes so by Fleet on the M3 she was in tears. Stopped. Calpolled her. Valerganed her. Rubbed her feet. Took the dog for wee. Needed to take myself for a wee but don't know how to turn off the car alarm thing so couldn't leave dog in car. Brainwave! Get out phone, call husband. Put 8 year old on phone and tell him to talk to her. I run to loo leaving dog, child, bags all in unlocked car and get back just in time to hear her laugh 'I love you daddy, you are so calm and nice'. Today she slept until 11 am (!). Friend over for sleepover (it seemed like a good idea at the time) and I cleaned the house and sat in the garden office pootling on the PC. Watching the girls chasing the chickens and trying to work out how to fill up the feeders and the water bottles (they can't see how to fill up a basically upside down bottle with water, bless 'em!). Chickens running riot. Girls running riot. I order organic vegetable plants to assuage my guilt over the BK......... things will improve. My father may d...suppress that thought ....

No comments: